counter

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Off topic: Nirvana

 One of Cobain's biggest concerns was that his music was misunderstood...

So lately I've been listening to a lot of Nirvana; not because I just discovered them, but I feel a certain nostalgia when I hear Kurt Cobain's lyrics. I listened to them quite a bit in high school and really grew to appreciate Cobain's creative genius, which reminded me of a poster I saw in West Edmonton Mall in 2009.

It was a blown up image of Cobain's face, with a little bit of copy in the bottom left-hand corner that read "It's ok to eat fish, cause' they don't have any feelings."

Now, for you die hard Nirvana fans, you'll know those are lyrics from his amazing song "Something in the way", from Nirvana's 1991 album, Nevermind. While the song is nothing short of brilliant, I feel the poster does not do Cobain, or the song itself any justice.

People who haven't heard the song, or know anything about Cobain's song writing style, might take that quote literally, and think that Cobain literally ate fish all the time because he regarded them as souless creatures, devoid of any kind of feelings.

While I can't say for sure that this was his intention, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment