counter

Friday 9 September 2011

Counter Strike: Source (PC)

I started my online gaming career with Counter Strike many moons ago. I was hooked instantly. If your unfamiliar with Counter Strike, I'll give you some quick (and interesting!) background info.

The original CS used the Half Life engine to support game play. In November of 2004, CS: Source was released with Half Life 2 roughly two weeks after. Despite being released earlier, CS: Source still used the HL2 engine to support game play. I'm guessing this was supposed to be a little teaser for the fans. When you join a game, you have the option of playing for the Terrorists or the Counter Terrorists. If your a T, your job is to plant the bomb (only one player can carry the bomb) at one of two bomb sites on the map. If your a CT, your job is to not let that happen. This is exactly the same game play as the original CS. One of the only differences in CS: Source are better graphics, new maps, and surfing. What's surfing you ask? It's probably easier if I just show you.






Surfing actually existed in the previous CS, but in CS: Source, its much smoother and the maps are better. I was bored of the normal game play very quickly. Surfing is such a unique gaming concept and trying to learn different maps can be a lot of fun (or extremely frustrating). There have been many times where I was tempted to smash my keyboard into my monitor. The basic concept is this:

1. You spawn, either as a T or CT - Usually right next to each other with a barrier in between.

2. You attempt to 'surf' the map from object to object to reach a spot where you can kill the people who have landed in the 'jail'. Most maps have a jail (but sometimes you just die) that you end up in when you fall off the ramps.

3. My video is a perfect example of a spot that you want to get to. I can see them, but they can't see me. Usually good surfing is rewarded with a good killing spot. Now it's time to sit back and rack up the kills.

There's always teleporters you can use if you get bored of being in the same spot for too long. Here's another good spot on that same map:



Here you can see that I have a great view of the enemy spawn area. The particular server that I was playing in was running a modified spawn protection time (extra health for longer) which makes it a little more difficult to use that spot effectively.

I would recommend getting this game (it's very cheap, $20 and can be purchased online through Steam) if your bored of the standard first person shooter scenario. It's a really cool way to explore the vast possibilities of the HL2 engine, while still being able to make people so angry that they call you names and quit. Possibly forever.

2 comments:

  1. Well, if anonymous thinks it's weak, I'll have to take that recommendation under consideration. Har, har.

    ReplyDelete