counter

Sunday 1 January 2012

Off topic: Back from British Columbia!

Every year the army engineers have an exercise in Chilliwack, B.C, from 26 Dec to 31 Dec. And every year, I find some way to get out of it. In 2009, I was on leave from OP PODIUM (security at the winter games) and last year I had surgery on my foot. This year, however, I am but a poor student.

Though at an inopportune time, it was still enjoyable. Roughly 35 soldiers from my unit made it out and we worked closely together. We spent day one building a medium girder bridge (MGB, the army loves acronyms).


The second day, we worked on MR (medium raft). MR is basically a bunch of sections of a floating bridge/transport raft that can be used to either move vehicles (tanks included) across large bodies of water or to construct a hasty bridge.



The third day was building the ACROW bridge, which is a huge pain in the ass. The pieces are very heavy and awkward to carry. Every spot where the pieces are easy to left, is somewhere you'll crush your fingers when you go to place it. The first group that went through the ACROW station didn't have the proper carrying bars, luckily they were there by the time we got there.


My favorite part was when I got to pull the MGB back over the gap to be disassembled. It was pretty badass.


And finally, here's a shot of the MR transporting  some vehicles.


It rained a lot, the wind was brutal, but the temperature was around +10 c everyday. The sun shone for about 10 minutes the last day we were there. All in all, wicked training.

No comments:

Post a Comment